Customers in embedded networks or specified tariff classes
About the grants
The Small Business Development Corporation is administering and delivering the Small Business and Charities Energy Bill Relief program to eligible small businesses and charitable organisations that operate in embedded networks in WA. This will be in the form of a direct payment of $650 (GST free) to the bank accounts of eligible businesses.
Embedded networks include examples such as shopping centres, businesses operating from airports, ports and industrial parks, businesses that have a sub-meter linked to a master meter controlled by the landlord, and circumstances where landlords purchase electricity from energy providers and on-sell the electricity to their small business tenants.
This relief excludes Energy Price Relief Rebates (rebates) for direct customers of Synergy and Horizon Power, who will credit the payments to electricity bills of these businesses. Eligible small businesses and charities that are billed by alternate private retailers such as Alinta and Perth Energy may apply for the Small Business and Charities Energy Bill Relief program.
The Small Business and Charities Energy Bill Relief is part of the Energy Price Relief Rebates, an initiative co-funded by the Commonwealth and State Government to reduce the cost of electricity bills for eligible small businesses.
Applications for Small Business and Charities Energy Bill Relief close at 4:00pm, 31 March 2024.
Eligibility criteria To be eligible for the Small Business and Charities Energy Bill Relief the applicant must meet all the criteria listed below:
- Have held a valid and active ABN as a small business or charity on 9 May 2023 and for the period covered by their application.
- Be a small business or charity consuming less than 50 megawatt hours (MWh) of electricity per year or where this is not measured, be liable for less than $15,000 per annum in electricity costs.
- Were incurring electricity costs on 9 May 2023.
- If not in an embedded network, fall within the scope of one of the following electricity retail tariff classes:
- C1 or C2 - Special community service tariff (small voluntary/charitable organisations)
- D1 or D2 - Special tariff for certain premises (premises wholly used by charitable or benevolent organisation for residential accommodation)
- L1 or L2 - General supply (low/medium voltage tariff)
- R1 or R2 - Time of use tariff (low/medium voltage tariff)
- Occupy a commercial premises as owner or tenant.
- Not be directly billed by Synergy or Horizon Power.
- Be receiving the power on-supplied via an embedded network/submetering arrangement.
- Provide an unredacted PDF copy of the business bank statement showing 2023 transactions, a BSB, an account number and the business name associated with the application.
- Agree to the program’s Terms and Conditions.
Applicants will not be eligible for relief under this program if they are:
- A government entity.
- A telecommunication provider.
- An Authorised deposit taking institution.
- A major mining or resources operator.
- An account for temporary electricity supply for the purposes of constructing premises.
- An account where consumption is reasonably expected to exceed 50MWh over a 12-month period.
Direct customers of Synergy and Horizon Energy are also ineligible for this program. They will receive their rebate directly from these organisations as credits to their electricity bill.
How to apply
Preparing for your Application
Prepare for your application by gathering the following information and documents. At the appropriate stage in the application process, you will be prompted to upload your document and unless otherwise indicated supporting evidence must be uploaded in PDF format. We may accept documents in JPG or PNG formats, however this is by exception. Electronic copies of documents will not be accepted if they are redacted or in any way designed to mislead.
Australian Business Number (ABN)
You can find this number on any letter the government has sent to your business Alternatively you can use the ABN Lookup tool to search your business. You do not need to provide supporting evidence, simply quote this number.
Confirmation that you are the owner or tenant of your business premises
A copy of your rates assessment or tenancy agreement.
Confirm your business bank details
Provide an unredacted PDF copy of the business bank statement showing 2023 transactions, a BSB, an account number and the business name associated with the application.