Skip to main content
Image of people doing reformer pilates

Playing music in your workplace

Everybody loves music. Playing some tunes in your workplace can help create a nice working environment for your staff or help set the mood for your customers while shopping, dining or working out.

But did you know that if you play music in your business you’re required to have a licence or you may be at risk of breaking copyright laws?

Many business owners don’t realise that playing the radio, listening to a CD or streaming digital music in the workplace comes with some legal obligations under the Copyright Act 1968.

To avoid running into any legal issues, make sure that you secure the appropriate licence from bodies such as the Australasian Performing Right Association, the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society Limited (APRA AMCOS), and the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA).

If you’re found to be playing music without a licence you can be issued with cease and desist notice or be required to pay outstanding licensing costs.

At the moment, you’ll need to register for licences with one or both licensing bodies depending on the type of music you play.

The good news is that from mid-2019 OneMusic Australia, an APRA AMCOS and PPCA joint licensing platform initiative, is due to launch with the aim of consolidating music licensing, making it easier for you to acquire the appropriate licences. It is expected that this initiative will save small businesses time and reduce duplication. Until this initiative comes into effect, you’ll need to continue using the current services offered by APRA AMCOS and PPCA.

More information

For more information on music licences and prices visit:

Last updated on:

Get the latest SBDC small business news