The State Government has approved an additional 33 trading hours for general retail shops in the Perth metro area in the lead-up to Christmas.
While businesses classed as small or speciality retailers can generally trade across whichever hours they choose, if you’re a small retailer that’s based in a shopping centre (and have to follow standard trading hours) the extended Christmas trading period will give you the chance to extend the trading hours of your business.
The extended trading period will start on Saturday 10 December 2022 and end on Monday 2 January 2023.
Tip: All shops are regarded as general retail shops unless they are a small retail shop, special retail shop, service station or motor vehicle shop.
Extended trading hours for Christmas 2022
During the extended trade period, general retail stores in the Perth metro area may open from:
- 8am to 9pm on weekdays (commencing from Monday 12 December)
- 8am to 6pm on Saturdays (commencing from Saturday 10 December)
- 8am to 6pm on Sundays (commencing from Sunday 11 December)
- 8am to 6pm on Boxing Day and New Year's Day public holidays
If you decide to open during the extended Christmas trading hours, you may be required to contribute towards the additional operating costs incurred by your landlord. Read our extended Christmas trade and your lease article to find out more.
If you are a business owner in regional Western Australia, extended Christmas retail trading hours vary by location. Visit Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website for more information on regional Christmas trading hours.
Please note: General retail stores will need to remain closed on Christmas Day.
Plan ahead for the Christmas and New Year period
With the year flying by we recommend that you start planning for the holiday season now. This can include having plans around:
- sourcing casual staff early, and considering offering incentives to attract staff
- communicating any changes to your opening hours during the festive season to your customers and suppliers
- understanding your obligations as an employer if you are open for business on a public holiday
- planning how you will manage the refunds and replacements which often come after Christmas.
Remember to make time for yourself
The combination of longer trading hours and family obligations can make the Christmas and New Year period particularly tiring for business owners and staff.
See our tips on managing stress and anxiety to help you keep on top of things during what can be a stressful time.
For more tips and advice on running your business: