If you own or operate a general retail shop in the Perth metro area you will have an extra 34 hours to sell gifts and food in the lead-up to Christmas this year, with the State Government approving extended trading hours.
The extended trading period will start on Saturday 8 December and end on New Year’s Day 2019.
Tip: all shops are regarded as general retail shops unless they are a small retail shop, special retail shop, service station or motor vehicle shop.
Extended trading hours for Christmas 2018
During the extended trade period, general retail stores in the Perth metro area will be allowed to open from:
- 7am to 9pm on weekdays (commencing from Monday 17 December and including Christmas Eve)
- 8am to 6pm on Sundays (commencing from Sunday 9 December)
- 8am to 6pm on Boxing Day and New Year Day public holidays
Please note: larger shops will need to remain closed on Christmas Day.
If you are a business owner in regional Western Australia, extended Christmas retail trading hours vary by location. If you are unsure of the extended trading hours for your region, contact your local council or call the Consumer Protection Retail Trading Hours Branch on 6251 2453.
Plan ahead for the Christmas and New Year period
With the year flying by we recommend that you start planning for the holiday season now. This can include having plans around:
- the sales and marketing tactics you may put in place to boost sales
- your obligations as an employer if you are open for business on a public holiday
- how you will manage the refunds and replacements which often come after Christmas
Remember to make time for yourself
The combination of longer trading hours and family obligations can make the Christmas and New Year period particularly tiring for business owners and staff.
See our tips on managing stress and anxiety to help you keep on top of things during what can be a stressful time.
For more tips and advice on running your business you might like to:
Photo credit: Tourism Western Australia