There is a range of support available to help small businesses affected by Ex-Tropical Cyclone Ellie and Tropical Cyclone Ilsa in the emergency regions.

The emergency regions include the following local government areas:

Ex-TC Ellie

  • Shire of Broome
  • Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley
  • Shire of Halls Creek
  • Shire of Derby-West Kimberley

TC Ilsa

  • Shire of Broome
  • Town of Port Hedland
  • Shire of East Pilbara

Small and Medium Business Recovery Grants

Financial support is available to eligible small and medium businesses in the six local government areas directly impacted by Ex-Tropical Cyclone Ellie and Tropical Cyclone Ilsa.

The Commonwealth and Western Australian Governments are jointly funding this support under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Applications for the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements WA - Small Business Recovery Grants Program and Medium Businesses Recovery Grants Program will open on Monday 24 July 2023 and remain open until Friday 30 June 2024. Further information Information on how to apply will be is available at

Kimberley Floods Financial Assistance

The Emergency WA website has information available on a range of assistance available for people affected by the Kimberley Foods.

Freight Assistance Program

If your business freights goods to or from the Kimberley, you may be eligible for the Freight Assistance Program.

ATO disaster support services

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides dedicated disaster support services that are available when you need them.

This includes a range of practical options like more time to lodge and pay tax obligations and reissuing tax documents or records.

For more information about the support available visit the ATO website.

Support from your bank

The Australian Banking Association has announced that its member banks will be providing help to affected customers. This includes deferral of loan payments for up to three months and the waiving of certain fees and charges.

Visit the Australian Banking Association website to find out more.

Rural West financial counselling

If you are experiencing financial distress, you can access financial counselling services through Rural West.

This service is available to small businesses and primary producers throughout the cyclone impacted region.

You can free call 1800 612 004 or visit the Rural West website for more information.

Business support in your region

Our SBDC Regional business advisory service can provide free and confidential business advice to help you manage business disruption and other impacts of the cyclone. Their services include one to one advice delivered online, over the phone and face-to-face.

Access SBDC Regional in the West Kimberley and East Kimberley. 

You can also access free advice from one of our SBDC business advisers by calling 133 140.

Fitzroy flood primary industries response

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) is helping primary industries affected by flooding as part of a whole-of-government response.

Visit the DPIRD website to find out more.

More information

Emergency WA has information on what you can do after an emergency, which includes information on support available to residents and businesses of impacted communities.

The Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) website provides updates for people affected by the Kimberley floods, including updates on the clean up and what emergency services are doing to help.

Legal and risk
18 July 2023