ANZIC codes are very broad. If the codes don’t exactly match your business activity, choose the code that most closely describes what you offer.
You can now add up to four additional ANZSIC codes to your ABN, to reflect your business activities more accurately.
Events such as COVID-19 have highlighted the importance of accurate business information to allow government agencies and emergency services to provide tailored support and services to businesses when needed. This has led to changes to Australian business number (ABN) listings to help reflect business activities more accurately.
What is an ANZIC code?
The Australia and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZIC) system classifies businesses based on their main business activity. The system collects and analyses data across industries.
In a change made in December 2021, businesses can now include up to four business activities in addition to their main business activity, when updating their ABN details on the Australian Business Register (ABR).
Historically, ABN holders could only register one main business activity, making it difficult to reflect the full range of activities undertaken in many businesses. Whether you started your business with multiple activities or have added different income streams over the years, you can now more accurately reflect your business activities by adding additional codes.
How to add additional business activities to your ABN online
The fastest way to update your details is through ABR online services.
- Log in to the ABR using your myGovID and select Update ABN record.
- Select ANZSIC and business details then Update ABN record.
- Select ANZSIC and business details then Additional business activity at. Type a short description of the business activity in the category search field to select the category that best matches your business activity from the dropdown menu.
- The ANZSIC Code and description will automatically populate based on the activity and category you have selected. Select Declaration and Submit to finalise the addition.
- You can add up the three more additional business activities by repeating the steps from step 2.
Alternative ways to update your ANZIC codes
Other ways you can update the business activities linked to your ABN are to:
- contact the ABR on 13 92 26
- lodge a change of registration details form by mail.
- ask your tax or accounting professional to make changes on your behalf.
Update other ABN details
When you are updating your ANZIC codes, it’s a good idea to check that all your other details are up-to-date, including the address of your main business location. This must be a physical address and not a PO Box or your tax or BAS agent’s address.
You can't update business names, legal names for individuals and sole traders or legal names for companies registered with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC).
For information about updating your business details read: