Who can apply for the “Small Business Rent Relief Package - Tenant Rent Relief Scheme”?

A small business owner that meets the eligibility criteria of the scheme, or a person authorised to act on their behalf, may submit an application for the scheme. Evidence of authority to act on behalf of a business must be provided with the application. This can be in the form of a PDF copy of a letter or email from the small business applicant.

What types of businesses are eligible to apply for this grant?

To be eligible for this grant, your business must be primarily based in Western Australia and may operate in any industry sector, provided you meet all of the eligibility criteria.

I was a subtenant of a commercial property during this period – am I eligible?

You must provide written evidence that you were a sub-tenant and had a valid lease in place for an actively trading small business at the premises for a minimum four week period between 1 January 2022 and 30 April 2022. A copy of the schedule and signature pages only from your formal sublease agreement, a completed and signed Confirmation of Commercial Tenancy declaration form or another form of written confirmation (such as an email or letter) from the head leaseholder for the period claimed, will be accepted as evidence of a sub-tenancy arrangement. This evidence must be uploaded as a PDF.

If I have more than one business, can I make an application for each affected business?

Yes, provided each business has a separate premises and lease agreement. You will need to make separate applications for each eligible business premises, however you can use the same SmartyGrants login for all applications.

Can I apply if I have a mobile business (that is, not based in one location), such as a food truck?

This program is only applicable to businesses that have a valid lease for a business premises in place for the claim period. For example, if you have a mobile food business that also had a valid lease for a commercial kitchen for the period, you may apply for the grant.

Can I apply as a sole trader, if I have more than 20 employees, or if I am a franchisee?

Yes, provided your business meets all of the eligibility criteria.

I am a small business that meets all the criteria but I don’t have a commercial lease

If your business does not have a valid lease but sustained a 50 per cent or greater reduction in turnover, you may be eligible for the Small Business Hardship Grants program, provided you meet all the eligibility criteria. Please check the COVID-19 Government Grants page for details.

Can I be compensated if I don’t meet the 30 per cent or greater reduction in turnover criteria, but the costs of running my business have increased?

No, you must demonstrate a 30 per cent or greater decrease in turnover to be eligible.

I applied for the Small Business Assistance Grant – December 2021 and intend to apply for the Level 2 Small Business Hardship Grants — can I apply for this grant as well?

Yes, provided you meet the eligibility criteria of each grant. Each grant is a separate program and requires a separate application

What do I need to check to ensure that my Australia-wide annual payroll is less than $4 million to be eligible for this grant?

Your annual payroll calculation can be for the 2020/21 or 2021/22 financial year, and may be the Year to Date figure or projected payroll for the current financial year. Payroll calculations include any payment provided to an employee in return for services provided to their employer, including these different types of taxable wages.

Creating your application online

I don’t have a MyGovID – how can I apply?

It is a requirement of the program that the person applying on behalf of the business verifies their identity using the myGovID app, set to a standard strength. Instructions for obtaining a myGovID are available at mygovid.gov.au/set-up and on this video tutorial. In exceptional circumstances, alternative ID arrangements may be made by contacting grants@smallbusiness.wa.gov.au

I’m a bookkeeper/accountant. How do I use MyGovID when applying on behalf of one of my business clients?

If you are an authorised person acting on behalf of a business to apply for this grant, you must use your own myGovID to verify your identity as the applicant. You must also provide evidence of your authority to act on behalf of that business, for example in the form of a letter from the business owner uploaded as a PDF with your application. Please ensure that the authority to act uses the same name as your myGovID. You will use your own myGovID and be regarded as the applicant, even though you may be applying on behalf of multiple businesses.

I am having technical issues with myGovID – can you help?

myGovID is administered by the Australian Government. If you’re having trouble, you can find support to help you verify your identity through the Australian Government’s support documents or contact them for further assistance

Financial evidence

Why do I need to provide a PDF copy of my bank statement?

To assist in validating the eligibility of the application, including providing evidence that the business is currently trading, and to protect the program from fraud, it is important that we receive an unredacted PDF copy of the most recent business bank statement for the account into which the grant will be paid.

What is a “reasonable comparative period” to demonstrate a minimum 30 per cent reduction in turnover over four weeks?

An equivalent consecutive four week period in the previous calendar year (between 1 January 2021 and 30 April 2021) is the most suitable comparative period. However, alternative comparative periods of four consecutive weeks will be considered for businesses that did not operate for the full 2021 calendar year or if the equivalent period in 2021 provides an inaccurate presentation of the business revenue performance, for example if the business was impacted by COVID-19 restrictions during the equivalent period in 2021.

Example: Tamsin operates an outdoor adventure business in the Mandurah area. Business turnover was affected in February and April 2021 due to public health restrictions in place for Perth and Peel in these months. Tamsin may choose to compare her decrease in turnover for a four week period between 1 January and 30 April 2022 to a consecutive four week period covering the July 2021 or October 2021 school holiday periods when her business was operating at full capacity.

What evidence will I need to demonstrate that the annual turnover of my business is more than $50,000, exclusive of GST?

You will be asked to upload PDF documents as evidence of your annual turnover to support this eligibility criteria. Evidence may be in the form of:

  • Your lodged 2020-2021 financial year tax return.
  • BAS statements for the 2020-21 financial year.
  • A report from your bookkeeping system covering the previous financial year.
  • A letter from your accountant.

What evidence do I need to prove a reduction in turnover of 30 per cent or more?

You must provide turnover comparison data for the same period last year or a reasonable comparable period as described above. The data can supplied as copies of:

  • A profit and loss statement from your bookkeeping system.
  • Business bank account transactions.
  • A sales report from your store Point of Sale system.
  • A letter from your accountant.

To support your application, you may also provide a completed copy of the SBDC’s Average decline in turnover calculator spreadsheet.

The reduction in turnover limit is calculated as a rolling average for any four week consecutive period. It is not a requirement to have experienced a 30 per cent reduction in revenue for each day or week of the claim period, as long as the average for the four week claim period is at least 30 per cent.

All figures quoted should be exclusive of GST. Evidence must be uploaded in PDF format.

Evidence of tenancy

What written evidence of a lease will be accepted?

A copy of the schedule and signature pages only from your formal lease agreement, a completed and signed Confirmation of Commercial Tenancy declaration form or another form of written confirmation (such as an email or letter) from your landlord for the period claimed, will be accepted as evidence of a lease agreement. This evidence must be uploaded as a PDF.


How much is the grant and what can I use it for?

The value of the grant is $3,000 and no GST applies. The grant is intended to help offset the losses incurred by your business due to reduction in turnover related to increasing community cases of Omicron and Level 1 Public Health and Social Measures Directions , however there is no specific guidance as to how you may use the money.

Why was the period 1 January to 30 April 2022 chosen as the applicable period for this rent relief scheme?

During the reference period, there were increased cases of COVID-19 in the Western Australian community that may have impacted businesses. In addition, in response to increasing Omicron COVID-19 community cases, Level 1 public health and social measures were in place from 6:00am 21 February 2022 to 12:00am 3 March 2022. Measures included mandatory wearing of masks in public indoor areas, and density and capacity limits at businesses. The reference period recognises the impact of reduced turnover during this period on small business tenants.

Are turnover figures based on cash or accrual accounting?

Either cash or accrual methodology can be used, provided the same method is used to demonstrate turnover for the comparative period.

Is this grant assessable income for tax purposes?

Generally, grants or support payments from the government are taxable and need to be included as assessable income in your tax return, unless they are specifically made non-taxable. The WA Government’s COVID-19 business grants have NOT been declared non-taxable by the Commonwealth Government, therefore they should be declared as assessable income. Instead, the Commonwealth has committed to providing a 25 per cent top-up payment to the grants, which will be paid in the 2022-23 financial year.

Further information on the tax implications for government grants is available from the Australian Taxation Office.

How do I upload my bank statement, lease agreement and other evidence?

Make sure you have saved PDF copies of your supporting documents. The only acceptable format for uploading is PDF. At the appropriate stage in the application process, you will be prompted to upload evidence from your device. It is recommended you do this from a desktop device and not a mobile phone if possible.

When do applications close?

The closing date for this grant program is 4:00pm 30 June 2022 (AWST).

What happens if I receive a grant but my business is later found to be ineligible?

Payment is based on the information you provide, in good faith and to the best of your knowledge, during the application process. However, the WA Government will conduct audits of the information provided and reserves the right to recover any payments made that did not meet the eligibility guidelines. If, by making an application for a grant, you knowingly provide false or misleading information, create false documents or impersonate a person or business with the intent to deceive the grant provider in order to obtain a benefit, this may constitute a fraud offence under the Criminal Code Act 1913 and be subject to criminal penalties.

Who do I contact with any queries regarding the application process?

If you have any queries about the application process for the Tenant Rent Relief Scheme, please email grants@smallbusiness.wa.gov.au. Our team will aim to respond to you within three business days. Please do not enquire about the progress of your application, as we are unable to respond to these enquiries due to the volume of applications expected.

Application status

How long will it take for my application to be assessed?

Due to a very high volume of applications currently being received, the assessment timeframe is currently approximately 12 weeks from the date your completed application is submitted, to payment date, if you are eligible. Please do not enquire about the progress of your application, as we are unable to respond to these enquiries due to the volume of applications being processed. You will be contacted by a member of our team if any information is outstanding, or to be notified whether your application has been approved or declined.

If my application is successful, will I be notified, and how and when will I receive the payment?

If your application is successful, you will be notified by email and payment will be made to your nominated bank account. Please remember to check your junk folder for emails from grants@smallbusiness.wa.gov.au or add this address to your ‘safe senders’ list.

Will I be notified if my application is unsuccessful?

Yes, you will be notified by email if your application is unsuccessful. Please remember to check your junk inbox for emails from grants@smallbusiness.wa.gov.au or add this address to your ‘safe senders’ list. If you have not received an email from us regarding the outcome within 12 weeks of submitting your application, please email grants@smallbusiness.wa.gov.au.

If my application is unsuccessful, can I appeal the decision?

Yes, an appeal process will be in place for this grant. If your grant application is unsuccessful, we will provide you with written advice on the appeal process.