Dealing with coronavirus
Please check this page regularly; information will be updated as it becomes available.
To help you manage business disruption associated with coronavirus (COVID-19), we've put together a range of support information focused on the needs of small business owners. This includes:
- restrictions on business activities - updated 7 July
- state government support packages - updated 9 July
- federal government support packages - updated 22 January
- managing your business - updated 2 March
- employer obligations
- support and advisory services
Restrictions in the Perth and Peel regions will continue to ease from 12:01am on Tuesday 6 July. . Find out what this means for your business (updated 7 July 2021).
Western Australia has commenced a six-phase roadmap for easing coronavirus restrictions. Phase five will commence on Wednesday, 23 June 2021. Find out:
- what this means for business activities, travel and border closures (updated 21 June 2021)
- about mandatory contact registers for businesses (updated 3 February 2021)
- more about COVID Safety Plans for events and businesses with venues (updated 21 June 2021)
- WA State Government relief package (as at 9 July 2021)
- Federal Government stimulus package (as at 8 April 2021)
- COVID-19 support package end dates (as at 22 January 2021)
- JobMaker Hiring Credit - what it is and who can apply (7 December 2020)
- Government grants - your questions answered (9 June 2020)
Coronavirus (COVID-19) has had a significant economic impact on WA business. To help you cope in the current environment, we have developed the following information resources:
- End of Commercial tenancy COVID-19 support
- FAQs: Workplace information about the COVID-19 vaccine
- Re-opening? A check list to get you started
- COVID-19 support package end dates
- How to apply the lessons learned from COVID-19
- Government grants - your questions answered
- Workplace safety during COVID-19
- Refreshing your digital marketing approach
- Coronavirus mental health support
- How to avoid coronavirus related scams
If you employ staff, you may have questions about what happens if they need time off work for self-isolation or if your business needs to temporarily close.
If your business operates under the WA state industrial relations system (which covers sole traders, micro businesses, unincorporated partnerships and unincorporated trust arrangements), visit the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website for information regarding employment impacted by COVID-19. While many micro-businesses fall within this system, you can confirm your business structure via the ABN Lookup and checking the structure recorded under ‘Entity type’.
If your business operates under the federal industrial relations system (which covers businesses such as ‘Pty Ltd’ companies), visit the FairWork website for information on coronavirus and Australian workplace laws.
Business, financial and emotional support is available from a range of organisations, this includes:
- Our free business advisory service provides with guidance on your business performance, cost cutting measures you can take or how to diversify your services to try and mitigate the impact. If you're located in regional Western Australia, you can also access our Business Local service.
- Eligible businesses can apply to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) for tax relief on certain tax obligations, such as deferring tax payments. Read the ATO's information on Covid-19, call them on 1800 806 218 or speak to your tax professional so that they can work with you to find a solution.
- The Financial Counsellors’ Association provides free and confidential support. They can provide you with information, strategies and guidance to help you with any financial difficulties you are experiencing.
- The Australian Banking Association provides a list of the hardship team contact details for most banks in Australia. These teams can help you in times of financial hardship.
- beyondblue and Ahead for Business have free online resources to help with emotional support. You can also seek help by phone