Last updated: 27 May 2021
Tropical Cyclone Seroja crossed the Western Australian coast on 11 April, impacting many small business owners in locations including Kalbarri, Northampton and beyond. There is a range of support available to help affected small businesses in the emergency region.
Small Business Cyclone Seroja Grants Scheme
Small Businesses in the emergency region may be eligible for a Small Business Cyclone Seroja Grant of $4,000. Applications are now open until 30 June – learn more about the eligibility criteria and start your application.
ATO disaster support services
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides dedicated disaster support services that are available when you need them. This includes a range of practical options like more time to lodge and pay tax obligations and reissuing tax documents or records.
For more information about the support available from the ATO, visit ato.gov.au/disasters or phone 1800 806 218.
Rural West financial counselling
If you are experiencing financial distress, you can access financial counselling services through Rural West.
This service is available to small businesses and primary produces throughout the cyclone impacted region.
You can free call 1800 612 004 or visit the Rural West website for more information.
Business support in your local area
Our Business Local service provider RSM is providing free and confidential business advice to help you manage business disruption and other impacts of the cyclone. Their services include one-to-one advice delivered online, over the phone and face-to-face. The contact details for RSM are:
You can also access free advice from one of our SBDC business advisers by calling 133 140.
Personal support services
There are a range of free and confidential wellbeing services designed specifically for small business owners. These services provide a mix of general and one-to-one support, including:
- NewAccess for Small Business Owners
- My Business Health
- Ahead for Business
- Beyond Blue small business support guide
Electricity and water relief packages
The State Government has announced water and electricity relief packages to provide financial support to families and businesses affected by the cyclone. The support for businesses includes:
- Synergy and Water Corporation to pause collection activities for overdue and outstanding accounts.
- Doubling of Western Power’s Extended Outage Payment from $80 to $160 for eligible customers.
- Waiving fees related to networking connections and reconnections on properties that have been destroyed.
- Reconnecting electricity for existing customers and replacing damaged meters free of charge.
- Damaged water meters will be replaced at no cost.
- A major fixture waiver will be applied to impacted businesses for two water billing cycles and additional support extended to those indirectly impacted - landlords and property managers should ensure the waiver is passed onto their tenants.
Emergency WA has set up a Tropical Cylone Seroja recovery page on their website, with details of all support available to residents and businesses of impacted communities. There is also a dedicated Facebook group managed by Emergency WA with up to date information to assist with recovery.