We are in the process of establishing a new service to support subcontractors in the building and construction industry. It is anticipated to be operational in mid-2019 and will complement the services currently provided by the WA Building Commission. The Small Business Commissioner David Eaton will have the power to receive and investigate complaints of non-payment on State Government works projects.
- If you are in dispute with a third party or have a business issue you would like assistance with, our current business advisory team may be able to help. Read about our dispute resolution service or call an adviser on 13 12 49.
- Information and resources relating to the current Western Australian Building and Construction Industry Code of Conduct 2016 are available on this page.
- The Building Commission (T: 1300 489 099) provides services for the regulation and licensing of the building industry, as well as the rapid adjudication process under the current Construction Contracts Act 2004. It is also responsible for the ongoing management of relevant legislation.
- Contact WorkSafe on 1300 307 877 for any workplace health and safety issues on construction sites.
- If you, or someone you know, is struggling with anxiety, stress or depression, MATES in Construction (T: 1300 642 111) provides advice and support.
Security of payments for the building and construction industry
At the end of 2018 Minister for Small Business Hon. Paul Papalia CSC MLA announced increased payment protections for subcontractors on State Government works projects under changes to be introduced in 2019. The State Government will significantly expand Project Bank Accounts (PBAs), which currently apply to the majority of projects administered by the Department of Finance, to as many government projects as practicable from 1 July 2019.